We have a responsibility to care for the environment. We believe
this care should be integrated into all aspects of our
We are committed to minimising the environmental impact of our
activities and we support of the principles of sustainable
The following policy guidelines detail the principal commitments
we have set for ourselves:
- As a minimum, we comply with relevant environmental laws and
- We consider environmental responsibility as a factor in our
- We work with regulatory agencies, advisers, auditors and other
interested parties as necessary in the implementation of effective
environmental policies. Where no regulations exist, we set our own
- We maintain an environmental management system, review impacts,
set targets and report on performance.
- We have made a strategic commitment to be a climate neutral
company for those aspects under our direct control. As part of this
commitment we invest in carbon management including a consideration
of our environmental impact as an integral element of investment
decision-making. Carbon abatement is a priority for us.
- We consider opportunities for direct investment in renewable
energy production at our sites. We also assess opportunities to
take up green energy options.
- We monitor the energy and water used in our office buildings
and distribution centres and set realistic targets to manage their
- We monitor our business travel and offer alternatives such as
teleconferencing and videoconferencing.
- We adopt effective procedures to minimise waste production and
to promote the recycling of unused product and packaging.
- We expect our suppliers to work with us in meeting our
environmental objectives. For our key suppliers of goods and
services, environmental requirements are an integral part of new
contracts and contract reviews.
- We design and plan new facilities, refurbishments and internal
moves to legislative and other standards that will minimise use of
construction resources and improve environmental performance.
- We encourage our people to contribute to the development of
environmental initiatives through joining our Green Champions teams
or providing feedback to the Sustainability Officer or any members
of the Environmental Management Review team.
Our environmental policy is publicly available through our
websites and will be reviewed annually.
Managing Director (Penguin Group NZ)
Manging Director (Pearson New Zealand)