To Know, Worship and Love
a reference for teachers and parents
Rev Msgr Peter J. Elliott, General Editor
About these books
To Know, Worship and Love is a series of Religious Education textbooks for use in the classroom. The texts cover a carefully mapped programme of religious instruction from Year 1 to Year 6.
Doctrinal content is drawn from the Catechism of the Catholic Church and guided by the 1997 General Directory for Catechesis. The primary doctrinal overview is cross-referenced to the Catechism and proposes memory work and 'outcomes' as essential at all levels.
The texts also honour the multi-ethnic nature of the Church, through stories, art and symbolism, ranging across indigenous and other cultures.
Scripture, spirituality, liturgy, the lives of saints, Church history, education in Catholic social teaching and the riches of Catholic art and culture run throughout the books.
The To Know, Worship and Love texts were developed for Religious Education in Melbourne and Sydney Catholic Schools. The title of the series To Know, Worship and Love summarises the three major methods of catechesis which it synthesises: To know is the doctrinal cognitive basis; To worship is the kerygmatic scripture-liturgy approach; and To love is the experiential or life-situation method.
Among other distinctive features, the first three texts incorporate an adapted version of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, a Montessorian approach to early learning, centred on Jesus Christ. This gives the younger child a scriptural and sacramental foundation for later learning.
1. God: sharing in the loving life of God
2. Creation: created by God, called to love
3. Human Person and Family: God calls us to respect ourselves and others
4. Jesus Christ: Jesus teaches us how much he loves us
5. Seasons and Celebrations: Lent, Holy Week and Easter
6. The Church: the Church lives the Word of God
7. Liturgy: Loving and praising our God in the Liturgy
8. The Holy Spirit: the Holy Spirit in our lives
9. Mary: Mary, mother of the Church
10. Sacraments of Initiation: Welcomed into the life of God's family
11. Sacraments of Initiation - the Eucharist: Jesus is present when we celebrate the Eucharist
12. Sacraments of Healing: forgiveness and strength are gifts of the Lord
13. Sacraments at the Service of Communion: to serve one another
14. Grace and the Moral Life: living in the life of the Holy Spirit
15. Commandments and Beatitudes: to love God and my neighbour
16. Prayer: listening and responding to God
17. Death and Everlasting Life: everlasting life
18. Seasons and Celebrations: Advent and Christmas
Summaries of Christian Teaching