For courses on Soils, Soil Mechanics, or Soils/Foundations in Departments of Civil Technology, Construction Technology, or Civil and Geotechnical Engineering.
Written in a clear, direct style, this practical text introduces students to the essentials of soil mechanics and foundations. Major emphasis is given to design and practical applications, which are supported by basic theory.
This SI version has the same content, as Liu & Evett Soils and Foundations 6e US Edition, however, all examples, exercises and solutions have been adapted into SI units, wherever US customary units were used.
1. Formation of Natural Soil Deposits
2. Engineering Properties of Soils
3. Soil Exploration
4. Soft Compaction and Stabilisation
5. Water in Soil
6. Stress Distribution in Soil
7. Consolidation of Soil and Settlement of Structures
8. Shear Strength of Soil
9. Shallow Foundations
10. Pile Foundations
11. Drilled Shaft Foundations
12. Lateral Earth Pressure
13. Retaining Structures
14. Stability Analysis of Slopes
Answers to Selected Problems
Appendix: Conversion Factors
NEW - Rewritten chapter on Drilled Shaft Foundations.