Java Foundations: Introduction to Program Design and Data Structures: International Edition (2e)
, Virginia Tech
, College of New Jersey
, Radford University
Java Foundations: Introduction to Program Design and Data Structures: International Edition
Pearson Higher Ed USA
From time to time, not all images from hardcopy texts will be found in eBooks, due to copyright restrictions. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Inspired by the success of their best-selling introductory programming text, Java Software Solutions, authors Lewis, DePasquale, and Chase now release Java Foundations, Second Edition. This text is a comprehensive resource for instructors who want a two-or three-semester introduction to programming textbook that includes detail on data structures topics. Java Foundations introduces a Software Methodology early on and revisits it throughout to ensure students develop sound program development skills from the beginning. Control structures are covered before writing classes, providing a solid foundation of fundamental concepts and sophisticated topics.
Table of contents
2. Data and Expressions
3. Using Classes and Objects
4. Conditionals and Loops
5. Writing Classes
6. Graphical User Interfaces
12. Analysis of Algorithms
13. Searching and Sorting
17. Binary Search Trees
18. Heaps and Priority Queues
New to this edition
The following modifications have been made to improve the presentation of particular topics and the overall flow:
- A stack is now used as the initial example of a collection so that the concept of a collection is more clearly established.
- The discussion of Generics has been expanded and clarified.
- The coverage of the Quick Sort and Merge Sort algorithms has been expanded.
- The coverage of Analysis of Algorithms has been separated into its own chapter and expanded.
- Material on Testing and Debugging has been incorporated into moreappropriate locations of the text.
- The coverage of Search Trees and Heaps have been divided into separate chapters.
- Two new chapters covering Hashing and Databases have been added.
- End-of-chapter exercises and projects have been updated to reflect changes in the book.
Features & benefits
- Presents objects in a gradual, natural manner. Concepts that overlap with procedural programming, such as methods and their invocation, are discussed in terms of an object-oriented approach.
- Loaded with fully implemented examples, intertwining small examples, and realistic larger examples that are easy to understand.
- Offers complete chapter on Graphical User Interfaces that includes engaging graphical examples.
- Exclusive coverage of software-testing and debugging effective practices.
- Provides plenty of opportunity for practice with extensive end-of-chapter questions, exercises, and projects.
Source Code Files