Were you looking for the book with access to MasteringPhysics? This product is the book alone, and does NOT come with access to MasteringPhysics. Buy the book and access card package to save money on this resource.
As the most widely adopted new physics book in more than 50 years, Knight’s Physics for Scientists and Engineers was published to widespread critical acclaim from professors and students. In the Third Edition, Knight builds on the research-proven instructional techniques he introduced in the first and second editions, as well as national data of student performance, to take student learning even further. Knight’s unparalleled insight into student learning difficulties, and his impeccably skillful crafting of text and figures at every level–from macro to micro–to address these difficulties, results in a uniquely effective and accessible book, leading students to a deeper and better-connected understanding of the concepts and more proficient problem-solving skills.
For the Third Edition, Knight continues to apply the best results from educational research, and to refine and tailor them for this course and its students. New pedagogical features (Chapter Previews, Challenge Examples, and Data-based Examples), end-of-chapter problem sets enhanced through analysis of national student metadata, and fine-tuned and streamlined content take the hallmarks of the previous editions–exceptionally effective conceptual explanation and problem-solving instruction–to a new level.
This package contains:
- Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach with Modern Physics, Third Edition
Builds problem-solving skills and confidence using an explicit, methodical, and consistent approach.
Promotes a deeper and better-connected understanding using a structured learning path and an inductive approach with exceptional clarity.
- A consistent 4-step approach provides a problem-solving framework throughout the book (and all supplements): students learn the importance of making assumptions (in the MODEL step) and gathering information and making sketches (in the VISUALIZE step) before treating the problem mathematically (SOLVE) and then analyzing their result (ASSESS).
- Detailed problem-solving strategies for different topics and categories of problems are developed throughout the book, each one built on the MODEL/VISUALIZE/SOLVE/ASSESS framework.
- Tactics Boxes give step-by-step procedures for developing specific skills (drawing free-body diagrams, using ray tracing, etc.).
- Worked examples follow the 4-step strategies and include careful explanations of the underlying, and often unstated, reasoning.
- The Student Workbook provides straightforward confidence- and skill-building exercises, bridging the gap between worked examples and end-of-chapter problems. Worksheets following the MODEL/VISUALIZE/SOLVE/ASSESS framework provide tear-out templates for students to follow when practicing solving problems.
Pioneers the implementation of proven visual techniques that cognitive science has shown significantly increase engagement, assimilation, and retention of science concepts.
- Each chapter begins with a roadmap of the upcoming material (see “Chapter Previews” below). Looking Back references consolidate connections with previous topics.
- Unique and critically acclaimed visual chapter summaries consolidate understanding by providing each concept in words, math, and figures and organizing these into a vertical hierarchy—from General Principles (top) to Applications (bottom).
- The student’s understanding of groups of chapters is also consolidated. Each Part begins with a two-page introductory Overview of the chapters ahead. Each Part ends with a Summary that draws together key concepts from the preceding chapter into a visual Knowledge Structure.
- New concepts are introduced through observations about the real world and theories grounded by making sense of observations. This inductive approach illustrates how science operates, and has been shown to improve student learning by reconciling new ideas with what they already know.
- NOTE paragraphs throughout guide students away from known preconceptions and around common sticking points and highlight many math- and vocabulary-related issues that have been proven to cause difficulties.
- Stop to Think questions at the end of a section allow students to quickly check their understanding. Using powerful ranking-task and graphical techniques, they are designed to efficiently probe key misconceptions and encourage active reading. (Answers are provided at the end of the chapter.)
- Hand-drawn sketches are incorporated into select worked examples to provide a clear model of what students should draw during their own problem solving.
Provides research-enhanced problems for optimized assessment and practice
- Figures are carefully streamlined in detail and color so students focus on the physics—or instance, the object of interest in mechanics.
- Explicit instruction as annotations directly on figures helps students to interpret figures and graphs.
- Extensive use is made of multiple representations — placing different representations side by side to help students develop the key skill of translating between words, math, and figures. Essential to good problem-solving, this skill is overlooked in most physics textbooks.
- Analogy is used throughout the text and figures to consolidate student understanding by comparing with a more familiar concept or situation.
— Unprecedented analysis of national student metadata (including time spent, most common wrong answers, and comment rate) has allowed every problem to be systematically enhanced for educational effectiveness and accurately calibrated in difficulty (shown in the book) and duration (provided in MasteringPhysics®). Similar analysis has allowed the problem sets in every chapter to be revised to ensure ideal topic coverage, balance of qualitative and quantitative problems, and range of difficulty and duration.
- Conceptual Questions require careful reasoning and can be used for group discussions or individual work.
- Exercises (for each section) allow students to build up their skills and confidence with straightforward, one-step questions.
- Problems (spanning concepts from the whole chapter), require in-depth reasoning and planning, and allow students to practice their problem-solving strategies. Context-rich problems require students to simplify and model more complex real-world situations. Specifically labeled problems integrate concepts from multiple previous chapters.
- Challenge Problems push the best students even further.
- The end-of-chapter problems are rated by students to show difficulty level with the variety expanded to include more real-world, challenging, and explicitly calculus-based problems.
- The revised Workbook is tightly integrated with the main text—following the same textbook strategies, and is explicitly referenced throughout the text.